Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mexican Cornbread Casserole {Momma Joyce's Recipes)

This meal made my hubby pop the question... well sort of.  

I made cornbread casserole for him shortly after we had started dating.  He said when he took the first bite, he knew he had to marry me.  Now every time I ask him what he wants me to make for dinner he says "cornbread casserole".  


In the Steuernagel house we had a tradition called "The Last Supper".  It was the last dinner each one of us "Steuernagel Children" had at home before we left for college.  We could pick whatever we wanted for our last supper and my mom would make it.  Of all the things my brother could have chosen for my mom to make, he chose cornbread casserole.  He now lives halfway across the country in Portland, Oregon.  When he came home for Christmas what was the first thing he wanted my mom to make him? cornbread casserole.


You can see a pattern.  Men LOVE it.


I find it delicious because I am a huge fan of contrasting flavors and temperatures in food.  The spiciness of the taco meat with the sweetness of the cornbread and a dollop of cold sour cream on top, makes my taste buds do cartwheels!


Plus this meal is easy and inexpensive to make!  I pair it with black beans and salsa.

(I forgot to add to the picture the milk and eggs you will need to make the cornbread)


Mexican Cornbread Casserole
You will need a 9X13 pan.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes

2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread 
(2 eggs and 2/3 cup milk to make the cornbread)
Taco Seasoning
1 lb Ground Beef
1 can sweet creamed corn
2 cups of shredded cheese
Cilantro and sour cream for toppings (optional)


1.  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. 

2.  Brown the ground beef and drain.  Follow instructions on the taco seasoning packet to season the meat. 

3.  Follow the directions on the back of the Jiffy boxes to make the cornbread batter.  

4.  Add the can of sweet creamed corn to the batter.  

5.  Spray your pan with non-stick spray.  Pour half of the batter mixture in the bottom of the pan. 


6.  Sprinkle the ground beef on the batter.  Spread the cheese on top of the ground beef.


7.  Pour the rest of the batter on top of the beef and cheese.


8.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Stick a butter knife in it to make sure it is done (remember the gooey cheese will leave some film on your knife).  


9.  Once it is done, let sit for 10 minutes.  


10.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro.  


The men in your life will thank you!  




Happy Leap Day! - A

5 comments:

  1. Definitly gonna make that this week! Looks soooo good. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the recipe Amanda! Made it this week for the family and the first words out of my husband's mouth were, "This is different." and proceeded to eat nearly half the casserole! I'm looking forward to making it again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. add some black beans (drain and rinse) and a can of tomatoes. its so good this way

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...